Monday, July 9, 2012

The Enlightened Heart

The Enlightened Heart: An Anthology Of Sacred PoetryThe Enlightened Heart: An Anthology Of Sacred Poetry by Stephen Mitchell

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


"This collection celebrates the radiance of the enlightened heart as it shine through the world's cultures and religious traditions. Beginning with selections from the earliest sacred masterpieces -- the Upanishads, the Books of Psalms, and the Bhagavad Gita (in new translations by the editor) -- this extraordinary anthology also contains poems by the Taoist and Buddhist masters; Rumi and other Sufi masters; Christian poets such as Francis of Assisi, Dante, and George Herbert; Blake, Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Rilke, and other modern poets.

Following on Stephen Mitchell's translations of the Tao Te Ching, The Book of Job, and Rilke, ... this unique and inspiring anthology is a further record of the highest points of human experience,"
~~front flap

I was excited to read this book. I often find inspiration and a deepening of my spiritual life in quotes or writings of many of the saints and masters included in this anthology. Perhaps I was just not in a spiritual place, but nothing in this book touched my heart of my soul. What a disappointment!

No comments:

Post a Comment