Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Being Peace

Being PeaceBeing Peace by Thich Nhat Hanh

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


"Being Peace is a timeless and eloquent introduction to Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh and his most important teachings. First published in 1987 and translated into more than thirty languages, this spiritual classic reveals the connection between our own personal happiness and the state of the world around us.

"Thich Nhat Hanh's key practices are presented in simple and clear language, offering practical suggestions for how to create a more peaceful world 'right in the moment we are alive.' Being Peace is a must-have for those interested in Buddhist practice and a perfect starting point for anyone concerned about how to create peace in themselves and the world. This newly revised edition contains an introduction by author and spiritual teacher Jack Kornfield."
~~back cover

This book was not what I expected. The other books on Buddhism I've read were different, more structured somehow (although Buddhism is not about structure.) I found it hard to "become" this book, as I hadn't with the other books. So I read the first half or more of the book out of "duty" -- needing to finish the book because it is my B title book for this year's challenge.

And then the book turned to the Tiep Hien Order, the Order of Interbeing. The Tiep Hien Order was founded in Vietnam during the war and is a form of engaged Buddhism. Engaged Buddhism is Buddhism in daily life, in society, and not just a retreat center. "Tiep" means "to be in touch" and "to continue"; "Hien" means "the present time." While simple in concept, it's too intricate and beautiful to present here, in a review. I can only say that it intrigues me, and makes me want to at least attempt to practice it.



No comments:

Post a Comment