Sunday, February 26, 2012

Diana Hunt & Pam Hait

The Tao of TimeThe Tao of Time by Diana Hunt

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


"More and more, time has come to exercise a tyrannical influence over our lives. There is never enough of it, no matter how carefully or cleverly we organize and plan. As pollster Lou Harris put it ...: 'Time may have become the most precious commodity in the land.' Yet why should this be, when 'time management' has itself evolved into a veritable discipline that sells books in the millions, creates ever more ingenious 'organizers,' and promulgates any number of quick-fix solutions?

"It is the premise of this book that, in keeping with so much we are still learning from Eastern philosophies in so-called New Age theory and practice, there are no quick-fix solutions to be imposed on our lives from without -- only within ourselves can we create true inner control of time and retake charge of our lives rather than let our lives (and the tyranny of the clock) run us."
~~front flap

A well-written book, with step by step directions on how to achieve mastery of your time by immersing yourself in their "deceleration" program based on Taoist (or perhaps Confucianist) philosophy. The system sounds intriguing, and the authors promise that following this system will give you infinite control over time (as opposed to finite control, which is the land of day planners and calendars and watches that calculate nanoseconds.)

I think I would have valued the book more if I hadn't been in active resistance most of the time I was reading it. I want to have better control of my time, but like most addicts, I don't want to do anything differently in order to get it.

I think I'll read this book again, in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment